US President Donald Trump warned Iran on May 17 that "the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them" in a post on Truth Social, escalating rhetoric beyond his earlier rejection of Tehran's peace proposal [1][2][9]. Within hours, Iranian military figures issued counter-threats: Mohsen Rezai, a member of Iran's Expediency Discernment Council and former IRGC commander, declared that "Irán romperá este bloqueo naval" (Iran will break this naval blockade) and warned the Sea of Oman would become America's "cemetery" [7][8]. The exchange marked the sharpest public confrontation between Washington and Tehran since the ceasefire began fraying.

Trump's threat was carried across outlets in at least four languages. German public broadcaster Tagesschau reported his warning that "Für Iran tickt die Uhr, und sie sollten sich besser schnell bewegen, sonst wird von ihnen nichts mehr übrig bleiben" (For Iran, the clock is ticking, and they better move fast, or nothing will be left of them) [12]. Mexico's El Financiero quoted the same message in Spanish and added that Trump accused Iran of accepting terms in dialogue and then withdrawing the next day, saying this had happened five times [4]. US Secretary of War Pete Hegseth stated the Pentagon had multiple contingency plans, saying: "Tenemos un plan para intensificar las medidas si fuera necesario. Tenemos un plan para revertir la situación si fuera necesario. Tenemos un plan para reasignar recursos" (We have a plan to escalate measures if necessary. We have a plan to reverse the situation if necessary. We have a plan to reassign resources) [4].

Republican Senator Lindsey Graham urged Trump to go further, calling Iran's energy infrastructure its "soft underbelly" and arguing that "if you go back to the fight, I'd put energy on top of the list" [16][7]. Not all voices in Washington aligned with the escalatory posture. Former congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene warned that deploying US troops to Iran would trigger a "political revolution," writing "WE. ARE. DONE" and insisting the anti-foreign-war coalition would unite to stop it [10][7].

Iran's military establishment responded with a series of warnings. Armed forces spokesperson Abolfazl Shakarchi said any renewed US action would result in "more crushing and severe blows" [1], adding through Infobae that the US would face "escenarios nuevos, agresivos y sorpresivos" (new, aggressive, and surprising scenarios) [8]. Mojtaba Khamenei — identified in Turkish-language reporting as a senior Iranian figure — stated that work had been done to open fronts "where the enemy will be defenceless and inexperienced" and that additional fronts would be opened if the war continued [7]. Commander Ali Abdollahi of the Khatam al-Anbia Headquarters warned Iran would halt all exports and imports across the Gulf, Sea of Oman, and Red Sea if the US blockade threatened Iranian ships [28].

Tehran's diplomatic track ran in parallel with the military rhetoric. Iran's foreign ministry spokesperson described the country's 14-point peace proposal as "responsible" and "generous," insisting that Washington had offered "no tangible concessions" [2]. Parliament speaker and chief negotiator Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf said there was "no alternative but to accept the rights of the Iranian people as laid out in the 14-point proposal," adding that the US military presence in the region "creates the grounds for insecurity" rather than providing it [3][5]. Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian stated: "Diyalog teslim olmak anlamına gelmez" (Dialogue does not mean surrender) [7]. Iran's demands include a full ceasefire, sanctions relief, release of frozen assets, war reparations, and recognition of sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz; Washington's conditions include Iran keeping only one nuclear site and transferring 400 kilograms of enriched uranium to the United States [14][5].

Foreign policy analyst Adam Clements offered a different reading, suggesting Trump's rhetoric might be performative. "President Trump is known for his bombastic tweets, his bombastic statements, perhaps for domestic audiences," he told Al Jazeera, advising observers to watch whether senior officials echoed the language and whether military deployments actually increased [1].

Gulf states intervened directly to prevent immediate escalation. Turkey's Hurriyet reported that leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE persuaded Trump to postpone a planned military strike, arguing that a deal preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon remained possible [7]. Pakistan's Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi made an unannounced visit to Tehran to meet with Iranian officials, continuing Islamabad's role as the primary mediator between the two sides [21][9]. Russia's President Vladimir Putin discussed the conflict with UAE President Mohammed bin Zayed, emphasizing the importance of continuing diplomatic processes for a compromise-based peace [3].

The crisis widened on a second front when a drone struck an electrical generator near the UAE's Barakah nuclear power plant. The UAE defense ministry reported that three drones entered from the western border; two were intercepted and one hit an external generator outside the plant's inner perimeter, causing a fire but no radiation leak [6][3]. Emirati presidential adviser Anwar Gargash called the strike "a dangerous escalation" and blamed "the principal perpetrator or one of its agents," a reference to Iran [6]. IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi expressed "grave concern" and stated that "military activity that threatens nuclear safety is unacceptable" [3][6]. Saudi Arabia separately reported intercepting three drones entering from Iraqi airspace and reserved the right to respond [7][8].

The broader regional fallout continued to mount. A Chatham House analysis argued that the US naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz constitutes an act of war under the UN Charter and the law of naval warfare [22]. European countries were reported to be negotiating directly with Iran's Revolutionary Guards for transit through the strait [3]. Shipping costs had already surged, with VLCC rates surpassing $400,000 per day and LNG freight rates up over 40 percent [23]. Turkey's Anadolu Agency reported that the energy crisis was accelerating interest in renewable energy sources for supply security [30], while a French analysis noted internal EU divisions over the conflict's consequences for European energy supplies [27]. The stalling of the US-backed Caucasus Corridor project through Armenia was attributed to the war, with Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan acknowledging the project was no longer a US priority [11].

The IAEA has separately flagged that Iran holds approximately 400 kilograms of uranium enriched to 60 percent — enough, according to the agency, for about ten nuclear weapons if further enriched to weapons grade — and that verification gaps persist [25][26]. NATO intelligence estimates that Iran retains at least 60 percent of its missile capacity despite the conflict [14].

Diplomatic contacts through Pakistani mediation were continuing as of May 18, with Iran's foreign ministry spokesperson confirming that views on the latest proposal had been conveyed to the American side [2][7]. Whether the postponed US military strike remains on hold depends, according to multiple reports, on the outcome of those exchanges [7][13].