Ukraine struck the Moscow region overnight on May 17 with what multiple sources describe as the largest drone attack on the Russian capital in more than a year, killing at least four people and wounding more than two dozen across several Russian regions [2][3][5]. The Russian Defense Ministry stated that its air defenses intercepted and destroyed 556 Ukrainian drones overnight, with a further 30 neutralized after dawn [1][3]. By midday, the ministry said more than 1,000 Ukrainian drones had been downed in 24 hours [8]. The strikes came days after a three-day Victory Day ceasefire collapsed amid mutual accusations of violations, and followed a Russian assault on Kyiv that killed 24 people [3][20].

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy confirmed the operation and described it as a direct response to Russian attacks on Ukrainian cities. "Our responses to Russia's prolongation of the war and its attacks on our cities and communities are entirely justified," he said, adding that Ukrainian long-range drones had flown more than 500 kilometers to reach targets despite what he called the densest concentration of Russian air defenses [5][8]. Ukraine's Security Service stated it had struck several oil facilities and a semiconductor-manufacturing plant in the Moscow region, as well as air defense systems at the Belbek military airfield in Crimea, aiming to "reduce the enemy's ability to continue its war" [2][5]. Ukraine's Defense Ministry said the Moscow Oil Refinery, the Solnechnogorsk oil depot, and microelectronics manufacturing facilities were hit for the first time [10].

Moscow Mayor Sergey Sobyanin reported that air defenses shot down 81 drones heading toward the capital, with 12 people wounded — mostly construction workers near the Moscow Oil Refinery — and said refinery production was not disrupted [1][3][10]. Moscow Region Governor Andrei Vorobyov confirmed three deaths: a woman killed when a drone struck a private house in Khimki and two people killed in the village of Pogorelki — reported by most sources as two men, though BBC News described them as a man and a woman [2][3][5][8]. A fourth person was killed in Russia's Belgorod region [3]. Sheremetyevo airport authorities said drone debris had fallen inside the airport perimeter without causing damage, though flight operations at Moscow airports were temporarily disrupted [2][5].

Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova described the strikes as a "mass terrorist attack," adding: "To the sound of Eurovision songs, the Kyiv regime, financed by the EU, carried out yet another mass terrorist attack" [8]. RT, Russia's state broadcaster, framed the operation as deliberate terrorism against civilian areas and contrasted it with what it described as Russia's focus on military and dual-use infrastructure [12]. The Russian embassy in New Delhi mourned the death of an Indian worker and blamed Ukraine for "the attack on civilian facilities in the Moscow region" [6].

The death of an Indian national and injury of three others drew particular attention in Indian media. India's Moscow embassy confirmed that "one Indian worker has lost his life and three others have been injured" and that embassy officials had visited the injured in hospital [6][19]. The Indian Express contextualized the incident within a broader pattern: India's Ministry of External Affairs has reported that 12 Indian nationals serving in the Russian armed forces have died in the conflict, though the same outlet also cited an estimate of 22 Indians killed since the war began [6], with roughly 27 Indians recently enrolled — some allegedly lured under false pretenses [6]. The Indian Express noted this was possibly the first Indian casualty in the Moscow region itself [6].

On the ground in Moscow's suburbs, residents described terror and a lack of official warning. Konstantin, a 39-year-old resident of Putilkovo, told the Moscow Times: "The hit was so powerful that it almost knocked me out [of bed], and I weigh a lot. I opened my window and saw smoke rising" [10]. Meduza, an independent Russian outlet, reported that residents of Khimki and Kurkino — "Кошка вся дыбом встала" (The cat's fur stood on end) — described being jolted awake by explosions with no sirens, SMS alerts, or organized evacuation [28]. BBC News Russian reported similar accounts alongside official statements from Sobyanin and Vorobyov [29].

Ukrainian military experts assessed that such strikes would intensify. Novaya Gazeta Europe quoted Ukrainian defense advisor Serhiy Sternenko as predicting "еще более масштабные атаки" (even more massive attacks) on Moscow, while military-political analyst Oleksandr Kovalenko argued that growing Ukrainian drone production and the progressive depletion of Russian air defenses would make future operations more effective [11]. Retired Colonel Roman Svitan offered a dissenting view, stating: "Сегодняшний удар надо было наносить 9 мая, тогда эффект от него был бы на порядок выше" (Today's strike should have been delivered on May 9; the effect would have been an order of magnitude greater) [11].

The strikes triggered immediate Russian retaliatory attacks on Ukrainian cities. Dnipropetrovsk Governor Oleksandr Hanzha reported 26 people wounded across six districts hit by missiles, drones, artillery, and aerial bombs [15][21]. A 24-storey residential building in Dnipro was struck, injuring at least 18 people including two children [22]. Odesa military administration head Serhij Lyssak reported drone strikes on residential buildings, a school, and a kindergarten, injuring an 11-year-old boy and a 59-year-old man [4][24]. Ukraine's air force said it intercepted 503 drones and four Iskander-K cruise missiles out of 546 aerial targets launched by Russia in the retaliatory wave [14].

The escalation also spilled into NATO airspace. Latvia's army issued a drone alert along its border with Russia after an unidentified drone entered Latvian territory from Belarus and exited toward Russia, prompting NATO fighter jets to scramble [18][20]. The Latvian military warned that "as long as Russian aggression in Ukraine continues, incidents of foreign drones entering or approaching Latvian airspace remain possible" [20]. The incident followed two Ukrainian drones that crashed in Latvia on May 7, triggering the resignation of the country's defense minister and prime minister [18].

UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission data indicates that civilian casualties in the first four months of 2026 have reached a three-year peak, driven largely by escalating long-range weapon use on both sides [32]. The International Committee of the Red Cross has stated that armed drones are not prohibited under international humanitarian law but that their use must comply with the principles of distinction, proportionality, and precaution [36]. Human Rights Watch has noted that civilian infrastructure becomes a lawful military objective only when used for concrete and direct military purposes [35].

Diplomatic efforts remain stalled. Turkish mediation proposals — including reviving the Black Sea Grain Initiative and prisoner exchanges — have gained no traction, with analysts noting that maximalist territorial demands from both sides make a ceasefire unlikely in the near term [31][33][39]. The following night, Russian air defenses reported shooting down only 50 Ukrainian drones, a sharp decline from the previous day's barrage, with no casualties or damage reported [7].