Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir posted videos on social media showing himself waving an Israeli flag among bound and kneeling Gaza flotilla activists at Ashdod port, telling them "Welcome to Israel. We are the masters" [2][10]. The footage triggered a rare public rebuke from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who said Ben-Gvir's conduct was "not in line with Israel's values and norms" and ordered authorities to deport the detained activists as quickly as possible [3][8]. By May 21, Israel had released all detainees from Ktziot prison and begun transferring them to Ramon airport near Eilat for deportation [7][12].

The activists — approximately 428 people from around 40 countries — had been seized after Israeli forces intercepted the Global Sumud Flotilla in international waters off Cyprus on May 18–19 [9]. The flotilla's organizers described the interception as "illegal, high-seas aggression," stating that Israeli commandos opened fire at six boats, used water cannon, and intentionally rammed one vessel [2].

Ben-Gvir's video opened a second front of international reaction beyond the interception itself. Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar addressed Ben-Gvir directly on social media: "You knowingly caused harm to our state in this disgraceful display — and not for the first time. You are not the face of Israel" [6][4]. Israeli Transportation Minister Miri Regev, however, uploaded her own video describing the activists as "terror supporters" and "drugged with alcohol" [1][11]. Ben-Gvir responded to Saar's criticism by saying "Israel has stopped being a pushover" and accused the foreign minister of "bowing to the terrorists" [8].

A broad coalition of governments summoned Israeli ambassadors or issued formal protests. UK Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper said the video showed "totally disgraceful scenes" that "violate the most basic standards of respect and dignity" and summoned Israel's chargé d'affaires for an "urgent explanation" [2][12]. Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni called the images "unacceptable," stating it was "intolerable that these protesters, among whom there are many Italian citizens, are subjected to this treatment, which violates human dignity" [3][5]. Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani declared that a red line had been crossed and demanded apologies from Israel [9]. French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot called Ben-Gvir's actions "unacceptable" and summoned the Israeli ambassador in Paris [3]. Dutch Foreign Minister Tom Berendsen described the images as "shocking and unacceptable" [5], while the Greek government called the treatment "unacceptable and absolutely condemnable" [8][10]. Belgian Foreign Minister Maxime Prévost termed the images "deeply disturbing" [5]. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney described Israel's treatment of the activists as "abominable" [2], and Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong called the images "shocking and unacceptable," noting that Australia had already sanctioned Ben-Gvir [12]. Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski requested that Poland's interior ministry ban Ben-Gvir from entering the country [12], while Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said his government would push for Ben-Gvir's ban to be extended to the entire EU [12], and Spanish Foreign Minister José Manuel Albares called the treatment "monstrous, disgraceful and inhumane" [4][6].

South Korean President Lee Jae-myung questioned the legal basis for Israel to "seize or sink ships" of volunteers delivering aid, calling the assault on the vessels "an inhumane act that surpasses all limits" [5][6]. Irish Prime Minister Micheál Martin called the interception in international waters "absolutely unacceptable" [8]. European Council President Antonio Costa said he was "appalled by the treatment of flotilla members" and called for their immediate release [12].

Allegations of physical abuse extended well beyond the video. Adalah, an Israeli legal rights group whose lawyers met approximately 100 detained activists, reported "systemic violations of due process, and widespread physical and psychological abuse by Israeli authorities," including suspected broken ribs, Taser and rubber bullet use, stress positions, sexual harassment, and hijabs being ripped off [6][9]. Adalah lawyer Suhad Bishara told the Associated Press that at least two activists were hospitalized after being shot with rubber bullets "for no reason, without any justification" [8]. The Israeli Foreign Ministry denied that live ammunition was used and said it would "not permit any breach of the lawful naval blockade on Gaza," describing Gaza as "flooded with aid" [2].

The United States issued a dual response. US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee called Ben-Gvir's actions "despicable" and said the minister had "betrayed the dignity of his nation," while simultaneously describing the flotilla as a "stupid stunt" [3][6]. Separately, the US Treasury Department designated four flotilla organizers as Hamas-linked and part of Muslim Brotherhood networks, with Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent describing them as "pro-terror" [8][27].

Hamas condemned the footage as evidence of "moral degradation and sadism" among Israeli leaders and called for ICC complaints [1][3]. The ICC prosecutor had already requested arrest warrants for Ben-Gvir, Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, and other Israeli officials [6]. Sari Bashi, director of the Public Committee Against Torture in Israel, said the video reflected a broader culture in which mistreatment of detainees is "welcomed and encouraged at the highest level" [6].

Flotilla organizers and coordinators argued that European verbal condemnations amounted to empty gestures. Florence Heskia, the French national coordinator of the Global Sumud Flotilla, said: "Tant que l'État français ne dénoncera pas ce qui se passe en Palestine, on ne sera pas satisfaits" (As long as the French state does not denounce what is happening in Palestine, we will not be satisfied), and demanded concrete actions such as suspending the EU-Israel association agreement [9]. Flotilla spokesperson Rania Batrice urged governments to move beyond "strongly worded letters," adding: "If they're doing that to Europeans and Americans and people from South Africa and all over the world, imagine what they're doing to the Palestinian people" [8].

UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric called for all detained activists to be "treated with respect and dignity" and returned swiftly to their home countries [11]. Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan confirmed Ankara was arranging special flights: "Planeamos traer hoy de vuelta a Turquía a nuestros ciudadanos y a los participantes de terceros países a través de vuelos especiales" (We plan to bring back to Turkey today our citizens and participants from third countries via special flights) [7]. Spanish Foreign Minister Albares said 44 Spanish nationals were expected to be deported via Turkey [7][12]. Adalah confirmed that all detained activists had been released from Ktziot and were en route for deportation, while describing the entire operation as "a flagrant violation of international law" [7].