Eight Israeli airstrikes hit the Abu al-Duhur military airbase in Syria's Idlib province on August 18, drawing condemnation from Syria, Turkey, and the United States in a public rebuke of Jerusalem by Washington [7][22][40]. The strike came as Trump envoy Jared Kushner was holding talks with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Hamas officials on a stalled Gaza ceasefire plan [12][17].
Netanyahu's office stated that Israel and Syria had agreed to maintain a security status quo and that Syria was on the verge of breaching it by permitting Turkish troops to deploy at an airbase near Aleppo [1][5][6]. The office said Israel had repeatedly warned Syria that such a deployment would threaten Israeli security, and that Israel would welcome a return to the status quo [1][31]. Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz warned that Israel will not allow steps that strengthen Syria's military capabilities in ways that could threaten Israel, and stated that Israel plans to keep troops in Syria [6][7][8].
Turkey rejected Israel's justification. A Turkish official stated there was no Turkish presence at the airbase and that Israel is inventing pretexts to bomb neighboring countries and destabilize the region [5]. The Turkish government called the allegations frivolous and aimed at legitimizing unlawful airstrikes targeting Syria's sovereignty [6]. Turkey's Foreign Ministry condemned the strikes as a reckless violation of Syrian territorial integrity and called for international accountability [13]. Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan stated that Israel continues to threaten Syria's security through repeated attacks [8].
Syria's Foreign Ministry condemned the strikes as an unjustified act of aggression and a flagrant violation of sovereignty, urging the UN Security Council to take a firm position [4][7][14]. A Syrian Foreign Ministry diplomatic source denied any security arrangement with Israel existed, stating Syria cannot enter into an agreement that obstructs the building of civilian and military institutions [28]. Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani demanded an unconditional Israeli withdrawal, calling the attacks unjustifiable and saying Syria will continue on a diplomatic path [6][39][41]. Syria's UN representative Ibrahim al-Ali submitted formal complaints to the UN Secretary-General and Security Council president [44].
US Special Presidential Envoy for Syria Tom Barrack confirmed Israel carried out the strikes and called them an unnecessary escalation that does not advance regional stability [7][16][40]. Barrack defended Syria's interim administration, saying it had repeatedly indicated a preference for de-escalation with Israel and had not adopted a predatory posture [18][45]. A US official stated that Syria had been pushing for weeks to implement a joint coordination center with the US and Israel based in Jordan, but Israel refused to operationalize it [5]. Barrack revealed that Turkey detected Israeli aircraft heading north during the strike and could have prepared a military response, but what he called cool heads prevented further deterioration; he said the US is working to establish a deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Turkey, and Syria [23][47].
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres stated that violations of Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity are unacceptable and must cease [6]. Jordan called the strikes an unjustified act of aggression and a blatant breach of international law and the UN Charter [22]. The UAE rejected the strikes as a flagrant violation of international law and a breach of the 1974 Separation of Forces Agreement [38]. Egypt, Qatar, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia each issued statements condemning the strikes as a violation of Syria's sovereignty and a dangerous escalation [46].
Regional security analysts suggested the strike was less about an immediate threat and more about drawing a long-term red line against Syrian military reconstruction. Researcher Navvar Saban stated the strike was probably less about destroying an immediate Syrian military threat and more about preventing the creation of a future military capability, particularly where Turkish assistance could improve Syrian air capability [2]. Scholar Kheder Khaddour said bombing an airbase means the Israeli army does not want the new Syria to have any sort of air force in the coming years [2]. Analyst Asli Aydintasbas argued that Syria has not been a threat to Israel and that Syrians have signaled interest in peaceful relations [2]. An Israeli security source stated that Israel is closely monitoring Syria's efforts to rebuild its air force and has shared its concerns with the United States [8].
The strike occurred alongside Kushner's diplomatic mission to advance a Gaza ceasefire plan. Netanyahu and Kushner agreed that an American general would verify Hamas disarmament before any Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, with Netanyahu insisting the military will not withdraw until Hamas is fully disarmed, including light weapons [19][35][36]. The Israeli Prime Minister's Office characterized the Board of Peace talks as deep and constructive and announced working groups on disarmament and public health [34]. Hamas demanded that Israeli forces first withdraw from the territory they occupy before any disarmament begins, accusing Israel of blatant disregard for ceasefire calls from mediators [12][32]. Kushner warned that if Hamas does not follow through on its commitment, Israel will have more US support to finish the job [15]. Saudi Arabia and the UAE joined a bloc of eight Muslim-majority countries in condemning Israel's rejection of the Gaza roadmap, saying Israel bears responsibility for obstructing peace efforts [12][35].
Israeli Police Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir called for targeted killings of 30 to 40 people in Gaza every night, including people not posing an immediate threat, stating these are people who should not be alive [19][34][36]. German politicians across party lines condemned the remarks, with Vice Chancellor Lars Klingbeil calling them unacceptable and CDU politician Norbert Röttgen saying it is overdue for the EU to impose sanctions against Ben-Gvir personally [30]. The Central Council of Jews in Germany stated Ben-Gvir's remarks are diametrically opposed to Jewish values and damage Israel's reputation [30]. Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said the comments must be recorded and preserved for the day of reckoning [34].
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi accused Israel of actively sabotaging diplomatic efforts between Tehran and Washington, calling Israel the main obstacle to lasting peace [27][33]. A senior Israeli official cited by Israeli media warned that economic pressure on Iran may push it to take an offensive step if Tehran perceives the blockade as a threat to regime stability [3]. President Trump threatened to bomb Oman if it gets in the way of US attempts to secure a deal on the Strait of Hormuz, expressing frustration with an emerging Iran-Oman shipping agreement [9][34].
The Israeli military stated it carried out separate strikes in Gaza, including one at a cafe in Gaza City's fishing harbor that it said targeted Hamas commanders tied to the October 7, 2023 attack [15], and another in Khan Yunis reporting the death of an Islamic Jihad commander who participated in the attack on Kibbutz Beeri [37]. Former Israeli officials and ex-soldiers attributed the military's inaction against settler violence in the West Bank to government support for the settlement movement, with former adviser Nimrod Novik stating the military is forced to choose between its professional judgement and government policy [25].
Syria's President al-Sharaa has chosen not to respond militarily to the strike to focus on rebuilding, according to a Syrian opposition outlet [45]. The US is working to establish a deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Turkey, and Syria [23][47]. Kushner expressed hope for a beginning of Hamas disarmament within 30 days under US general supervision [29], while Netanyahu faces October elections with his Likud party trailing in polls [17].