North Korea fired roughly a dozen short-range ballistic missiles from the Pyongyang area toward the East Sea on August 20, according to South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff [17][24][25]. The missiles flew approximately 300 kilometers with a maximum altitude of 90 kilometers, and South Korean Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back assessed them as likely 600mm multiple rocket launcher rounds capable of carrying tactical nuclear warheads [16][36]. The launch came hours after US President Donald Trump announced he would meet Kim Jong Un later this year and ordered the Pentagon to substantially reduce the Ulchi Freedom Shield joint military exercises with South Korea, which he described as sending a signal that was "inappropriate and hostile" toward a country that had been unthreatening and respectful during his presidency [3][6][20]. Trump also cited South Korea's refusal to support the US war against Iran as a factor in the decision [10][18].
South Korea's presidential office condemned the launch as "a grave act that violates UN Security Council resolutions" and called on North Korea to immediately halt such actions [1][5][8]. The National Security Council convened an emergency meeting and stressed the need to maintain a thorough readiness posture while closely sharing information with the United States and Japan [17][20]. Japan's Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi lodged a formal diplomatic protest through channels in Beijing, stating that "北朝鮮による核ミサイル開発は断じて容認できない" (North Korea's nuclear and missile development is absolutely unacceptable) [32][42]. Japan's Ministry of Defense confirmed the missiles landed outside Japan's exclusive economic zone [16][42].
Kim Yo Jong, sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, dismissed Trump's overture as "unworthy of comment" and said the provocative, aggressive nature of the drills would not change despite their reduced duration and size [6][17][25]. She denied any knowledge of recent communication between her brother and Trump, stating that US hostile policy toward North Korea remained unchanged [7][14][21]. She acknowledged that personal relations between Kim Jong Un and Trump remain "still excellent" [10][12][13].
Trump claimed North Korea possesses 57 "very powerful" nuclear weapons and confirmed he would meet Kim Jong Un later this year, possibly during the APEC summit in China [2][11][22]. The Pentagon stated the reduced drills would cause "no degradation to US training objectives" [20][23]. US Indo-Pacific Command said the launches posed no immediate threat to US personnel, territory, or allies and reaffirmed its defense commitment to the region [30].
South Korean President Lee Jae Myung publicly endorsed Trump's decision, calling it "a bold decision that is the result of your deep consideration to achieve peace" and pledging to do his utmost to support Trump's peacemaking efforts [3][11][15]. Foreign Minister Cho Hyun told lawmakers that neither the South Korean government nor US officials were notified in advance of Trump's social media post ordering the reduction [3][18]. The unilateral nature of the decision drew criticism across South Korea's political spectrum, with the ruling Democratic Party viewing it as a precondition for US-North Korea summitry and the opposition People Power Party calling it a national security threat [37]. Cheong Seong-chang, vice-president at the Sejong Institute, said Seoul must maintain its alliance with the US but also "take steps to acquire its own nuclear deterrence" [3].
US bipartisan lawmakers also criticized the drill reduction. Senators Mark Kelly and Thom Tillis co-signed a letter calling for its reversal, with Kelly calling it "shortsighted and a mistake" and Tillis arguing it "does nothing more than free up thousands of North Korea's troops to support Putin's" war in Ukraine [27][28]. Representative Ami Bera called the move "a betrayal of a democratic ally," and Senator Jack Reed said "Kim Jong Un has won a propaganda victory" [27][28][39].
Competing estimates of North Korea's nuclear arsenal surfaced during the same period. The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute estimated in June that North Korea may have assembled around 60 warheads and possesses enough fissile material for at least 30 more [2]. Ahn Gyu-back estimated North Korea holds 80 to 120 warheads, stating "We usually see it as around 80 to 120, but it is considerably limited to state an exact number" [19][41][45]. Lee Sang-kyu, head of the Nuclear Security Research Office at the Korea Institute for Defense Analyses, presented an estimate of 127 to 150 warheads, citing new uranium enrichment facilities at Yongbyon and Kangson [45]. Ahn reiterated that South Korea cannot officially acknowledge North Korea as a nuclear-armed state [15][19][20].
Russia and China publicly welcomed the US drill reduction. Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said Moscow "can only welcome" the decision [1]. Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi urged South Korea not to take sides between Beijing and Washington and called on the US to abandon its hostile policy toward North Korea [1][5][15]. Analysts described Beijing's posture as "tacit approval" of North Korea's nuclear program, with Christopher Green of Leiden University stating that Beijing will not try to stop Kim "as long as he does not create regional instability" [34].
Analysts read the missile launch as a deliberate signal of North Korean leverage. Yang Moo-jin, professor at the University of North Korean Studies in Seoul, said the launch appeared aimed at underscoring that Kim Yo Jong's warning was "not mere rhetoric" [5][16]. Hong Min, senior researcher at the Korea Institute for National Unification, said that "even if it was a test of a weapon under development, choosing when to conduct it requires a political decision" [31]. Unnamed experts assessed that Kim Jong Un has more leverage than during the 2018-2019 talks and likely seeks international recognition as a nuclear state in exchange for limited denuclearization steps [12].
Former South Korean presidential adviser Moon Chung-in argued that "denuclearization can no longer be on the agenda" for US-North Korea talks and that a phased approach starting with arms control is more realistic [44]. UN Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs Rosemary DiCarlo warned that heightened military activity and limited dialogue have increased tensions and the risk of miscalculation on the Korean Peninsula [29]. IAEA Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi reported serious advances in North Korea's nuclear weapons program, including the likely construction of a new uranium enrichment facility and a rapid increase in operations at the Yongbyon reactor [29][43].
Taiwan's Foreign Ministry welcomed a joint statement calling for transparent missile-launch notification mechanisms and separately condemned China for failing to provide sufficient advance notice of its own ICBM test [31].
US Indo-Pacific Command stated it is consulting closely with allies and partners following the launch [30]. Trump confirmed plans to meet Kim Jong Un later this year [22][23].